April 7, 2013

Clockwork Princess

*Warning* I wrote this post minutes after finishing the book and I basically wrote down all the emotions and thoughts that were going through my head. Needless to say, I was a mess. This post is a jumble of words and emotions that may not make much sense but I hope you enjoy.


I've just finished reading Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare and oh my, I am speechless. I'm currently surrounded by a mountain of tissues. I've never cried so much in my life before. Clockwork Princess is the final instalment of a trilogy called the Infernal Devices. The first one was called Clockwork Angel and the second, Clockwork Prince. They were both great books as well but Clockwork Princess was the best. Here's the summary from the publisher:

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy. 

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.

This book was simply beautiful. It was phenomenal. I want to thank Ms. Clare for writing such a fantastic novel and creating such a unique and fascinating world that I would have loved to live in. As well as creating such complex, flawed but loveable characters. I've never been so emotionally involved with characters before, I've never cared so much about what happens to them before. Jem, Will, Tessa and everyone else are such selfless and loving and brave people.
Jem Carstairs is the kindest and gentlest soul I've ever had the pleasure to read about and fall in love with. He is wise and patient and completely selfless.
Will Herondale comes off as cocky and rude but he is hiding his true caring, loving and loyal self from a horrible mistake he made when he was young. He's intelligent and charming and a character I am glad I didn't give up on.
Tessa Gray is pretty much everything I want to be. Smart, independent, strong, loyal, kind and loving. She is selfless and puts everyone she loves before herself. She also isn't afraid. She isn't afraid to give herself up to a madman, she isn't afraid to put her heart out on her sleeve and love.

I can only wish to be as good of a person as they are.

Her book wasn't just a beautiful story, it also taught me a few things about life itself. I look at love, caring and death differently now. They're all a part of the human experience and definitely what makes it worthwhile. Love isn't all hugs and kisses, it's about selflessness and genuinely caring for another person more than yourself. Doing anything for them, even if it means letting them go. Caring about someone means always being there no matter how cruel and rude and horrible they are to you. If you genuinely care for them you will do whatever it takes to help them and ignore all the horrible things they've done. And death. Death is a scary thought and I still haven't been able to wrap my head around it completely. But this book helped me realize in some ways death isn't a bad thing. It is a good thing. If you were to live forever you would outlive everyone you ever loved and cared about. Imagine a life like that. And death makes you cherish people more. You realize they won't be apart of your life forever and you need to start showing them how grateful you are to have them and how much you care for them.


Sorry for getting all emotional and philosophical and what not but honestly this book is a gem. There is so much more to it then killing the bad guy while dealing with a love triangle. Go check it out and Cassandra Clare's other amazing novels.

2 comments: