February 6, 2013

Indie-ish(?) Movies

So lately I've been seriously into indie movies. Or what I think are indie movies.... To me, indie movies are movies that are not the typical movie where a guy and a girl meet and fall in love, only to have some twist (one has a life threatening illness, an evil villain is trying to take over the world, they turn out to be siblings, etc.) but in the end, all is well, and ends off happy. These are my top movies recently:

 Perks of Being a Wallflower


It's actually the perfect coming of age story, and I know how cheesy and cliche it sounds but it's really good. The movie is about Charlie (played by the adorable Logan Lerman) who is a shy, introverted wallflower trying to find his way through his first year of high school. 


Charlie meets two seniors, Sam (the gorgeous Emma Watson) and Patrick (super cool Ezra Miller) and they take him under their wing and guide him through freshman year. Perks gets a little dark near the end but I think that's kind of what makes the movie, it makes it mean that much more and all the puzzle pieces connect.


For those of you who read the book first (like me!) and are unsure about the movie version, you will be please to know it's stays pretty true to the novel because Stephen Chbosky, the author, is also the director of the movie! How awesome?


Silver Linings Playbook


If you haven't heard of this movie then I am quite shocked. Silver Linings Playbooks is nominated/won so many awards this season and for good reason! 

 

It's not your typical romance story, yes there is a man and a woman the movie centres around, and I assume you can make the connection with what happens between them. But, it's different because they're both 'crazy'. They have diagnosed disorders like anger management issues and bipolar. Silver Linings Playbook is genuinely funny and touching. I watched this in the theatre and I was laughing the whole time along with the rest of the theatre (which was packed) and was constantly saying to my friend beside me, "Oh my god this can't be happening." "No way." "No, No, No!" 

The Silver Linings Playbook Cover.jpg
This is the cover of the book Silver Linings Playbook, and I know it looks like a floating logo but the background is white and so is mine!
Silver Linings Playbook is originally a book, unfortunately I did not know that before I saw the movie but I will definitely be picking it up sometime soon! 


LOL 

(I know, I know, this is probably the furthest thing from an indie movie, even my definition of one, but I recently discovered it and watched it way too many times to count, I love it, and Douglas Booth in it, I just had to throw it in here!!) 


To be honest, it is quite the chick flick and coming of age story. If your heart melts at the sound of a British accent and cute montages of couples being all couple-y then this movie is perfect for you! But this movie isn't for a 12 year old either, there's some drinking, drugs and sex in this movie too which makes it even more realistic I think, part of the reason why I love it! 

Douglas Booth being all cute and sexy and what not. 
And he is also part of the reason why I love this movie. If you haven't noticed by now, I have a major thing for British guys. No shame. (But I hope you all don't think I'm just another shallow teen who swoons for hot guys I promise there is so much more to me!!)


Hope you all enjoy my movie recommendations! 
xoxo 


No comments:

Post a Comment